Hi Dimple Prints readers! It’s Megan from Coffee Cups and Crayons and I’m excited to be here again this month. We love to make our own valentines and I was so excited to see all the free Valentine’s Day printables Carli posted in the shop!
We have been wanting to try and make our own soap shapes ever since we made Squishy Snow last month. When I saw the fish valentine printables I had a great idea…
We made, or actually molded our own fish shaped soap to go with the fish printable! And it was super easy! (Although definitely a bit messy!)
Here’s what you need to make your own fish soap:
a bar or white or clear soap
- veggie grater
- warm water
- food coloring (we used all natural food coloring from Whole Foods)
- wax paper
We began by grating the bar of soap into a bowl.
Then we made a soap paste:
We put the bowl with the grated soap, a bowl with warm water, and an empty bowl on the table.
- We put a couple of spoonfuls of the water in the empty bowl and added the food coloring.
- Then we added some of the grated soap and stirred.
- We kept going back and forth with the soap and the water until we had a mold-able paste.
- We ended up doing half of the soap at a time so repeated this sequence twice.
The kids kneaded the soap and my oldest and I formed it into soap shapes.
We let the soap dry out overnight and then placed it into sandwich bags and added the fish valentine toppers. Such cute (and great smelling!) valentine to give to friends!
Megan is the creator of Coffee Cups and Crayons, a blog that shares fun and useful ideas for modern parents. You can follow all of her learning activities, kids crafts, and party inspiration on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and G+.